Friday, February 29, 2008
BURONG ISDA (FERMENTED RICE WITH FISH)
1 mudfish (medium-sized)
1 tbsp angkak
2 cups water
1. Clean the fish and slice into pieces. Salt all the slices and allow standing for six hours or overnight.
2. Add the water to the rice and cook. Remove the rice from the pot or pan and allow cooling.
3. Pound the angkak fine and mix with rice. Mix the fish, rice, and place in a clean glass jar with a cover.
4. Let the stand for 3 to 5 days or until the mixture smells sour.
5. To cook: Sauté chopped garlic, onion, and tomatoes in two tablespoons lard.
6. Add buro and vinegar to taste and sauté well. If the mixture is rather thick, add a little water.
7. Serve hot or cold.
This recipe is from Pampanga,Philippines and this is one of their specialties there. Angkak in the recipe is a yellow coloring used for this dish.
*image courtesy of video.aol.com